Christus Chorus, Concordia University, St. Paul’s concert choir, is performing nine concerts during Holy Week (March 22-29) as part of its annual tour. Under the direction of Dr. David Mennicke, Christus Chorus will perform in seven states over an eight-day period at Lutheran and Methodist Churches.
The choir has toured annually since 1989, and since 2000 has traveled to an international location every four years. Most recently Christus Chorus toured South Korea (2012), with previous visits to Ghana (2008), Germany and the Czech Republic (2004) and Poland (2000).
This year’s tour spans the Upper Midwest to the East Coast, with stops in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. In addition to concert performances, the choir will sing during Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday church services.
“Touring makes it possible for us to take our music to our highest level,” Mennicke, Chair of Concordia’s Music Department and Director of Choral Studies said. “It provides a focus and intensity to refine our craft – which is to perform music excellently in praise of God and to proclaim the Gospel – and it gives us time to meld together into a community that has lasting value, even beyond graduation.”
The tour also provides the university a platform for outreach to its constituency, institutional promotion, student recruitment and donor development.
Members of the Christus Chorus are selected through an open audition process.
Christus Chorus will perform a home concert on campus at Concordia’s Graebner Memorial Chapel Friday, April 5 at 7:30 p.m.
2013 Christus Chorus Tour Schedule
- March 22: St. John’s Evangelical Church, Beloit, Wis. (7:30 p.m. concert)
- March 24: First Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Palm Sunday, 11 a.m. service)
- March 24: Bethany United Methodist Church, Purcellville, Va. (Palm Sunday, 7 p.m. concert)
- March 25: Great Bridge United Methodist Church, Chesapeake, Va. (7 p.m. concert)
- March 26: St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Glen Burnie, Md. (7:30 p.m. concert)
- March 27: Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Alexandria, Va. (7:30 p.m. concert)
- March 28: St. John Lutheran Church, Dublin, Ohio (Maundy Thursday, 7 p.m. service)
- March 29: Carmel Lutheran Church, Carmel, Ind. (Good Friday, 12 p.m. service)
- March 29: St. Matthew Lutheran Church and School, Hawthorn Woods, Ill. (Good Friday, 7 p.m. service)
2013 Christus Chorus
Kayla Blair (‘15), Sarah Carpenter (’14), Rebecca Hazard (’13), Gina Marchetti (’15), Natalie Pieper (’15), Marisa Tejeda (’16), Ann Thomas (’14), Crystal Vaughan (’15)
Beth Albrecht (‘13), Jessica Borchardt (’16), Bethany Brandvold (’15), Alyssa Burdett (’13), Amber Fischer (’15), Jena Helmbrecht (’14), Katherine Mennicke (chaperone), Rachel Lindemann (’15), Teresa Schier (’14), Rachel Vogt (’14)
Phillip Brandvold (’15), Mark Langton (’13), Joe Ostlund (’14), Matt Ostlund (’13), Daniel Petrich (’15), Scott Tolzmann (’14)
Tom Bang (’13), Benjamin Berteau (’14), Joseph Cossetta (’14), Austin Ertelt (’13), Alan Holasek (’13), Todd Janka (’15), Matthew Kinne (’15)