Six outstanding high school choirs from the state of Minnesota are performing in the ninth annual Choral Arts Finale gala concert Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 7:30 p.m., at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. Co-hosted by Concordia University, St. Paul and the American Choral Arts Directors Association of Minnesota, the event is showcases the state’s top high school choirs.
The six selected choirs will participate in a full-day choral clinic on the campus of Concordia University, culminating in a performance with both solo and massed performances at Orchestra Hall with Concordia’s Christus Chorus. Geoffrey Boers, Director of Choral Activities at the University of Washington, will serve as guest clinician and will conduct the massed performance.
Conductor of the UW Chamber Singers, Boers maintains an active conduction, teaching, workshop, and clinic schedule. Recent engagements have taken him to Australia, mainland China, Thailand, Alice Tully Hall and Carnegie Hall, and Kennedy Center, where he serves as Artistic Director for the Washington D.C. Choral Festival.
Selected to participate in this year’s premiere high school choir festival are:
- Alexandria High School Concert Choir (Alexandria, Minn.) – Steve Deitz, conductor
- Apple Valley High School Valley Select Chorale (Apple Valley, Minn.) – Joel Beyer, conductor
- Ariso, RAACHE Choirs (Rochester, Minn.) – Suzy Johnson, conductor
- Armstrong High School Concert Choir (Plymouth, Minn.) – Stephanie Trump, conductor
- Minnehaha Academy Singers (Minneapolis) – Karen Lutgen, conductor
- Willmar High School Cardinal Choir (Willmar, Minn.) – Neal Haugen, conductor
Christus Chorus, Concordia’s concert choir, will also perform at the gala concert. Under the direction of Dr. David Mennicke, Christus Chorus has hosted the annual Choral Arts Finale since 2006.
Members of the ACDA selected the participating choirs through a blind audition process. Each group receives a commemorative plaque, $500 award and transportation expenses. More than 2,000 singers from across the state of Minnesota have enjoyed the honor of participating in the Choral Arts Finale since its inception in 2006.
Tickets for the gala concert are $13 and can be purchased at the Orchestra Hall Box Office at 1-800-292-4141 or 612-371-5656.