Ms. Barbara Wissink
Assistant Professor in Education
Coordinator of Reading Licensure Program
Dr. Barbara Wissink brings a practical approach to understanding and enhancing literacy and elementary math instruction in the classroom. With more than 20 years as an elementary teacher, Dr. Wissink has the experience to bring course material to life for students and illustrate how practical theories work in the real classroom setting. The mixture of academic excellence with professional experience gives students critical analysis skills that will need in the classroom to engage the 21st century learners. Students also gain practical experience working on applied projects and field research while focusing on the application of literacy and math strategies in a variety of classroom settings.
Following her successful teaching career, Dr. Wissink has taught at Concordia for the past four years, working with traditional undergraduate students, graduate students, and adult cohort students. She also partners with the local literacy associations to discuss relevant academic issues, and is the Coordinator of the MA in Curriculum & Instruction with the K-12 Reading Endorsement program at Concordia University in St. Paul, MN.
- Ed.D., Doctorate of Education with a Literacy Emphasis, Hamline University (2010)
- MN K-12 Reading Endorsement, Hamline University
- Advanced Certificate of Literacy, University of Wollongong, Australia
- M.A., Curriculum & Instruction, University of St. Thomas (1996)
- Educational Technology Certificate, University of St. Thomas
- B.A., Elementary Education, University of Minnesota-Duluth (1987)