General News, University News
Concordia University, St. Paul is blessed by an outstanding Board of Regents.
We are delighted that at the Board’s July 30 meeting, Regents Butch Almstedt (Weeki Wachee, Florida) and Dr. Carrie Meyer (Minnetonka, Minnesota) have been elected to another three-year term of service.
We are excited to welcome new regents, Mrs. Naomi Teske, BA ‘90 (Greenfield, Minnesota), and Dr. Daniel Zismer (Hopkins, Minnesota) to their first three-year term of service to the board. They bring with them both a breadth of understanding of the mission of CSP and wisdom and insight required to govern a rapidly growing and expanding university during an unprecedented time in higher education.
We pray God’s richest blessings upon their leadership and look forward to leading with them.
During the meeting, the Board:
Received the President’s, Provost’s, and Vice President of Finance’s reports. The president’s report highlighted the proposed vision statement for the university, a proposed fifth strategic goal, work on CSP’s articles of incorporation and bylaws, and the LCMS 7-03 task force. The Provost’s report highlighted the COVID response plan, capital projects on campus, enrollment, student life, and integration of Concordia Portland’s nursing program. The Vice President of Finance’s report highlighted the university’s financial position at the end of fiscal year 2020 and anticipated position for the fiscal year 2021.
Took the following actions:
- Approved meeting minutes from the April 2020 board meeting and Academic, Advancement, Executive, and Finance Committee minutes
- Approved emeritus status for Dr. Rhoda Schuler (beginning Dec. 31, 2020), and appointed her as Scholar in Residence Jan. 1, 2021
- Approved a new committee charter for the Academic Committee
- Endorsed fifth strategic goal for the Vision 2024 Strategic Plan: “Accent our Christ-centered purpose as a Lutheran University”
- Endorsed new vision statement for CSP: “to be a Christ-centered, nationally prominent Lutheran university known for excellence and innovation that fosters success for all students.” (see attached one page summary of CSP’s 2024 Strategic Plan)
- Reappointed Regents Butch Almstedt and Dr. Carrie Meyer to a second three-year term
- Elected new Regents Naomi Teske and Dr. Daniel Zismer to a three-year term
- Received administrative reports from the Provost, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President of Finance, Vice President for Advancement, and Vice President for Enrollment Management
- Discussed the Board self-assessment
- Reviewed the work of the LCMS 7-03 Task Force
- Reviewed and approved proposed revisions to the University’s articles of incorporation, bylaws, and board manual
The board enjoyed lunch during which Dr. Katie Fischer, Prof. Kendra Saal, Prof. Jodi Zastrow and student Mario Lopez provided information and shared stories about CSP’s nursing program.
Brian L. Friedrich