Welcome to CSP Ministry
CSP Ministry is a Christ-centered ministry, rooted in God’s Word, that is dedicated to serving Concordia University, St. Paul in four main ministry areas. We believe that our team of staff and student leaders are the public face of CSP Ministry, but that CSP Ministry is made up of any faculty, staff, or student that is a believer in Jesus, called to be the light of Christ.
- Peer Ministry
- Student-led and Staff-led Bible Study Opportunities
- Student Workers
- Peer Ministry
- Prayer Ministry
- Online Ministry Devotions and Encouragements
- Intentional Ministry of Presence
- Campus Events
- Student Ministry Clubs
- Theology and Ministry Club
- Morning Chapel
- Evening Chapel
- In the Community
Scroll down and click Devotional Life for more about services and worship oppurtunities!
Additional Ministry Information
Want to get connected with CSP Ministry? There’s so many ways you can get involved!
Find Us At Our Spaces
Most of our opportunities and hang time happen in 3 main places:
- Graebner Memorial Chapel / Cross of Christ Fellowship Center (CCFC)/ the Underground
Where you’ll find daily chapel, the CSP Ministry staff office, and coffee, snacks, & hang out space!
- The Living Room
A comfy space on the tunnel for homework, hanging out, meetings, Bible studies, and making others feel welcome on campus.
- Prayer Chapel
A small, quiet space for individual or small group prayer and conversation at the bottom level of the Behm Crossroads, below the Buenger Education Center.
- FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) – Thursday nights at 9pm in the Underground (basement of the chapel) | email@example.com
- 908 – Wednesday nights at 9:08pm in the Chapel | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Propel Women’s Ministry – Monday nights at 9pm in the Living Room (in the tunnel by the game rooms) | email@example.com
- Cornerstone Men’s Ministry – Monday nights at 9pm in the Underground | firstname.lastname@example.org
CSP Ministry sees Bible Study as an incredibly important piece of Christian life and discipleship. CSP Ministry offers seasonal study opportunities and resources during Lent and other times. We also equip students and staff to lead and facilitate Bible Studies in their areas of campus as well.
Peer Ministers are a team of students who are trained to be an aware and welcoming presence on campus. These are students who are seeking to live out the welcoming and serving heart of Jesus in their everyday lives at Concordia. Peer Ministers are an important ministry for Concordia as well as a valuable equipping experience for Christian students. They are students who help others connect with community, resources, and Jesus. If you would like to connect with a Peer Minister, send us an email at email@example.com.
Serve in Chapel
We love having as many different people involved in chapel as possible. Do you like to read aloud? Are you interested in running sound or visuals? Do you play an instrument or sing? Do you do skits or dance? We would love to have you use your gifts in chapel!
- Graebner Memorial Chapel / Cross of Christ Fellowship Center (CCFC)/ the Underground
Pastor Tom Gundermann
Pastor Thomas Mark Gundermann: aka “Pastor Tom” is married to Amy (Schaffer, CSP class of 2000). Tom and Amy have three children: Kayla, Noah, and Eva, who all attend Central Lutheran School in Saint Paul. Together they enjoy biking, camping, and many and various musical and athletic activities. Amy and Tom met on Concordia’s campus in 1996 (Tom’s parents, by the way, met on Concordia’s campus in 1955).
Pastor Tom is a graduate of Pilgrim Lane Elementary, Plymouth Junior High, Robbinsdale Armstrong High School, Valparaiso University, and Concordia Seminary, Saint Louis. After undergraduate work and before Seminary, Tom participated in a year of Youth Encounter and a year of Lutheran Volunteer Corp. The YE year brought him to West Africa where he witnessed the young Lutheran churches of Ghana and Nigeria. The LVC year was spent serving the immediate neighborhood where Concordia is located helping with literacy, recycling and gardening programs.
Amy and Tom have served three congregations before coming to Concordia: Trinity First in South Minneapolis, Peace Lutheran Church in Robbinsdale, Minnesota, and Faith Lutheran Church in Penfield, New York.
Tom’s interests include spending time with family, writing music and Biblical musicals, “free lance carpentry” around the house (a few blocks South of campus), and almost anything athletic (GO GOLDEN BEARS!) You can check out some of Tom’s music at tunesbytom.org .
Shelly Schwalm, DCE (’10)
University Ministry Associate
Shelly is a Director of Christian Education and alumna of Concordia University, St. Paul. She grew up in small town Kansas, but loves calling the Twin Cities home. Shelly is also a Youth Encounter alum, traveling the east coast on Captive Free NorthEast 04-05. Shelly enjoys traveling, spending time with loved ones, coffee shops, ethnic food, live music, being outside, creative artsy things, being an auntie and godmama, and finding adventures of all kinds. She is a musician, speaker, and writer (check out her blog). Shelly says the best part of her job with CSP Ministry is introducing students to how good “life to the full” in Jesus can really be.
Follow along with our 2019 ADVENTure Calendar for your Advent celebration as we prepare for Jesus’s birth!
Devotional life is an important part of the campus life at Concordia, St. Paul. We have chapel opportunities taking place Monday through Friday. Chapel is a time for the community to gather around Scripture, song, prayer, and devotional thoughts from various members of our campus community or invited guests. Chapel at CSP includes a variety of styles and practices that are observed throughout the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. Various choirs and ensembles offer music throughout the year in chapel, as well as theatre and dance contributions. Holy Communion is celebrated in chapel on festival occasions. Students, faculty, staff, and guests are welcome to attend chapel services.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday – 10:30am
Tuesday & Thursday – 11:10am
A Typical Week in Chapel
Chapel times include a variety of forms, orders, and leaders. It is our goal that the beautiful diversity of our campus community and its gifts can be represented in chapel. To reach that goal of variety and involvement, our weekly order will not always be the same, but generally, some common themes can be expected. No matter the form or the leader, though, we will always gather around the Gospel of Christ as found in the Holy Scriptures.
- Monday – service of the Word and song
- Tuesday – service of the Word and song
- Wednesday – Convocations, Communion, and other orders
- Thursday – A rotation of traditional orders of Matins, Morning Prayer, and Celtic Daily Prayer often accompanied by the Jubilate Choir
- Friday – service of the Word and song
Questions about morning chapel? Would you like to get involved or help out? Contact the team!
Evening ChapelEvening chapels are student-led devotional times on campus that range from very quiet and contemplative to full band leading contemporary music and everything in between. You are welcome to join us for any and all evening chapels to end your day with thanksgiving to God and hear about his love for you. If you’d like to help with evening chapel, contact the team or the student leaders leading the services.
- Compline – Monday at 10pm. It is a traditional, peaceful worship liturgy to celebrate the closing of the day.
- Taize / Contemplative – Tuesday at 10pm. It is a contemplative, reflective time of worship where Scripture is read and sung. This service often includes a time of reflective silence for prayer.
- 908 – Wednesday at 9:08pm. 908 is a time of contemporary worship including a worship band, student or guest speakers, and prayer time.
- Holden Evening Prayer – Thursday at 10pm. It is a beautiful piano-led service of singing and prayer.
The Office of Church Relations works to build and encourage relationships between Concordia University, St. Paul and congregations. Church Relations works closely with many departments on campus and communicates with churches about the happenings at Concordia through Concordia Sundays, presentations, and events. We also exist to facilitate collaboration between congregations and Concordia, St. Paul. We also represent Concordia at various LCMS events and other church-related gatherings, as well as coordinating various events and helping to serve as a resource for congregations.
Thank you for your partnership with Concordia University, St. Paul and your support of our mission and students!
Director of Church Relations
Host a Concordia Sunday! CSP offers Concordia Sundays to congregations to provide a Sunday morning experience that communicates the Gospel-centered mission and vision of Concordia University, St. Paul. Our university president or one of our pastors on campus can share about the University as well as contribute to your congregation’s Sunday worship experience.
In expressing Concordia’s commitment to Lutheran higher education within the context of the Gospel, Concordia University, St. Paul seeks actively to:
- Build and foster a productive partnership with our LCMS church constituency
- Aid in the recruitment of students for all vocations
- Aid in the recruitment of church work students
- Increase visibility of the university
- Raise congregational awareness of the Concordia University System
Email Jane Wilke to inquire about hosting a Concordia Sunday at your congregation!
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) is a mission-oriented, Bible-based, confessional Christian denomination headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri. Concordia University, St. Paul is one of the 10 colleges/universities operated under the auspices of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
The Concordia University system encourages an endowment effort to significantly increase the number of future Lutheran leaders for the church and society.
Here are the upcoming events that the Office of Church Relations will be attending!
- Family of Christ Lutheran Church – Ham Lake, MN
- North Dakota District Convention
- St. Michael’s Lutheran Church – Bloomington, MN
- Minnesota North District Convention
- South Dakota District Convention
- North Wisconsin District Convention
- Minnesota South District Convention (Hosted at CSP)
- Iowa West District Convention
- National LWML Convention – Des Moines, IA