Main navigation

Student Accessibility Services & Health Resources

Who We Serve

  • CSP students who are registered for classes.
  • We also work cooperatively with instructors to provide academic adjustments to reduce barriers in the classroom (face-to-face or virtual).

How We Can Help

Our services include:

  • Counseling services
  • General wellness
  • Specific disability-related concerns
  • Organizational skills
  • Working with faculty
  • Self-advocacy
  • Learning techniques and assistive technology

Campus chapel in fall with two light posts that have CSP banners on them.

Connect with Us

Winget Student Life Center | 3rd Floor (above Dining Hall)
(651) 641-8272
Fax: (651) 603-6222
TTY: MN Relay 711
Email: [email protected]

Send a message

Get to Know Us

Additional Information

  • Don’t forget to ask about student discounts and tell them you are attending CSP.

    Area Clinics and Hospitals

    Parkway Family Physicians (This is our collaborating health care clinic)
    Doctors: Langley, Ness, Hamilton, N.P. Easterly
    Hours: M-F 8-5
    721 Snelling Avenue, St. Paul 651-690-1311

    Highland Family Physicians
    1540 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul
    Phone: 651-699-8333
    Hours: M-F 8:30-4:30 Sat. Urgent Care only 8-12

    Allina Health Bandana Square
    1020 Bandana Blvd. St. Paul
    Phone: 651-241-9700(Clinic)
    Urgent Care-walk in
    Hours: M-F 8 am-10 pm Sat.-Sun. 9am-5pm

    Fairview Highland Park Clinic
    2155 Ford Parkway, St. Paul
    Phone: 651-696-5050
    Urgent Care Hours M-F 6pm-10pm, Sat. 8am-10pm, Sun. 10am-8pm

    Gordon Parks
    School Based Clinic
    1212 University Avenue
    Phone: 651-793-2234
    Hours: Tu 9-12 & 1-4, 8:30-3:00, F 8:30-3:00
    Services: Sees patients under 22 years old are free

    Health East Midway
    1390 University Ave., W. St. Paul
    Phone: 651-232-4800

    North Memorial Urgent Care
    1955 West County Road B2 at Prior Avenue, Roseville
    Phone: 763-581-9250
    Services: Walk-in, first come first served basis only

    CVS Stores
    1040 Grand Ave.
    Phone: 651-224-2155
    Hours: M-F 8:30-7:30, Sa 9-5:30, Su 10-5:30
    Services: Walk In

    Urgency Room
    3010 Denmark Ave., Eagan  651-789-9900
    7030 Valley Creek Plaza, Woodbury, 651-789-7000
    1159 County Rd East, Vadnais Hts. 651-789-6500



    Steven R. Hagerman 651-646-2392 160 SW Minnehaha (just West of Snelling) Discount for Concordia Students

    Westside Dental Clinic 478 S. Robert 651-602-7518

    Metro Dental 1375 St. Anthony Ave. 651-645-4671 Discount for Concordia Students

    Helping Hand Dental Clinic 506 W. 7th St. 651-224-7561

    Mendes Family Dentistry 550 S. Snelling Ave., St. Paul MN 55116 651-699-0404

    University of MN 612-625-5441

    Eye Doctors

    Target Optical 1300 University Ave. 651-646-3163 (10% off for CSP students/faculty/staff)

    Pearle Vision 1560 University Ave. (in Midway shopping center) 651-646-8889


    WellSpring Chiropractic
    7166 10th St. North, Oakdale, MN


    Target 1300 University Ave. 651-646-8002

    Cub 1440 University Ave. 651-646-8858

    St. Paul Corner Drug 240 Snelling Ave. S. 651-698-8859

    Walmart 1450 University Ave. 651-644-4286

    Westside Dental Clinic (LaClinica) 153 Cesar Chavez Street 651-222-1816

    CVS 1040 Grand Av. 651-224-2155

    Lloyd’s 720 Snelling Abe. 651-645-8636


    Emergency Rooms

    Fairview University Medical Center at Riverside ER
    2450 Riverside Ave. Minneapolis
    Phone: 612-273-6400

    United Hospital ER
    333 N Smith Ave. St. Paul
    Phone: 651-241-8000

    Fairview University ER on U Campus
    500 Harvard
    Phone: 612-273-3000

    Regions Hospital ER
    640 Jackson Street, St. Paul
    Phone: 651-254-5000

    St. Joseph’s Hospital ER
    69 West Exchange Street, St. Paul
    Phone: 651-232-3000

    If You Have No Medical or Dental Insurance

    Gordon Parks
    Health Start
    1212 University Avenue
    Phone: 651-793-2234
    Hours: Tu 9-12 & 1-4, 8:30-3:00, F 8:30-3:00
    Services: Sees patients under 22 years old are free

  • Student Accessibility Services is committed to ensuring that all information regarding a student is maintained as confidential as required or permitted by law. Information provided to Student Accessibility Services is considered confidential and is not disclosed to a third party without the written permission of the student. Information provided to Student Accessibility Services is shared within the university when there is a legitimate, “need to know” basis.

    Information regarding a student’s accommodation plan, however, can be released to faculty members, staff or advisers who are currently working with a student as this does not close the nature of disability. Students who choose not to have accommodation information disclosed must contact Student Accessibility Services before the start of the semester. Students are then responsible for providing this information to faculty before accommodations can be provided.

    If a student wishes to allow someone to have access to information about their documentation, they must sign a release of information. Students must sign a release of information that allows the Student Accessibility Services to speak to any individual on their behalf relative to their disability. This includes their doctor, therapist, or a student’s parents. Due to laws pertaining to medical documentation, communication between Health Services, Counseling and Student Accessibility Services also requires a release.

    On occasion, it may be necessary to disclose disability in order to assist you with situations that constitute harm to self or others, emergency situations, or hospitalizations. Also, please note that a student’s file may be released pursuant to a court order or subpoena.

    It is the responsibility as a student to become informed about your disability, your granted accommodations and any policies pertaining to disability. Any student with questions or concerns should contact Student Accessibility Services at (651) 641-8272.

  • Need Support Right Now?

    • Call 911 for emergency
    • Call/Text 899 for National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline

    College can be a stressful time in any individual’s life. CSP is committed to supporting students’ success and one way is to encourage good mental health.

    In-Person Counseling
    CSP students’ have access to confidential, licensed professional counseling through MidWest Center.  Students can walk-in during open hours or schedule an appointment (preferred) to be seen by a licensed counselor in a professional and confidential manner.

    Counseling is available from 9:30am – 3:30pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday during the academic year.

    To schedule appointments please send an email to [email protected]

    Telehealth Counseling
    Students also have access to private and confidential teletherapy through CSP’s partnership with META Health Teletherapy. Choose your provider and receive chat, video, and voice counseling through your smartphone.

    To sign up download the META Health app or visit their website

    Spiritual Counseling

    Those who wish to speak with a pastor for spiritual counseling are encouraged to reach out to CSP Pastor, Rev. Tom Gundermann at 651-641-8271.

    Students at CSP’s Portland campus can also reach out to Rev. Dr. Phil Brandt.

    MN Supports

    OR Supports

    Cascadia Whole Urgent Walk-in Health Care

    Unity Center for Behavioral Health

  • Concordia University, St. Paul is committed to providing accessible education to students in compliance with all relevant federal and state laws, including section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act and the amended ADAAA (2010).  Student Accessibility Services (SAS) is available for students taking traditional, cohort, and continuing education credits. We serve qualified students with appropriate evidence of a disability or those who need academic accommodations for short term medical conditions (one semester or less).

    If you are a student who would like more information on what we can offer, please click “Accessing Services” on the left or use the contact information on the right to schedule a meeting either in person or via phone.

    Concordia St. Paul is also committed to providing access for programs and services on our campus that are offered to the public.  We are happy to discuss needs and arrange accommodations for campus guests.

    Please note that some accommodations, including sign language interpreters or print materials in alternative formats require additional time—usually more than a week. Contact us for more information.

  • Student Accessibility Services (SAS) views access as a cooperative effort between the student, faculty, SAS and appropriate staff (as needed). We are committed to providing students with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in courses, programs and other course-related or extracurricular activities in keeping with state and federal laws.

    The official process for students with temporary or long term disability who request adjustments is as follows:

    1) Student requests a modification or accommodation that is outside of course or program policies based on known disability, significant illness, mental health concern or other physical or cognitive condition.

    2) Faculty asks student for copy of accommodation form (VISA) or refers student to SAS.  Faculty may also contact SAS staff for consultation.  Modifications or accommodations should not be put in place prior to faculty receiving a VISA.  Modifications do not have to be retro-actively applied.

    3) Student Accessibility Services staff meets with and determines disability and adjustments that the student requires in order to access programs or courses. All such decisions are specific to the type and severity of the student’s disability and in keeping with federal and state laws.

    4) If not already developed, an accommodation form (VISA) is developed by SAS with the student and provided to instructional staff or program coordinators.  The student or SAS staff will provide this information.

    5) Faculty  or instructional staff determine what is essential to their specific courses and how accommodations may or may not fit into this in consultation with SAS.

    6) Student and instructor should then engage in a discussion regarding accommodations in courses/programs and what specific needs the student may have.

  • Comet’s Cupboard hopes to decrease the number of food-insecure CSP students by increasing access to free and nutritious groceries and by reducing the stigma associated with receiving nutrition assistance through creating a welcoming environment. CSP’s Comet’s Cupboard is available to Concordia students, faculty, staff, alumni, or their dependents at no cost. No proof of income or need is necessary to visit Comet’s Cupboard. Everyone is welcome to visit and take what they need.

  • The mission of SAS is to foster an inclusive environment in which all students have the opportunity to equally participate in the academic experience. Student Accessibility Services works with the university community to provide an accessible education to students with disabilities through the provision of accommodations.

    Eligibility for Services

    Currently enrolled and qualified students who have a disability that significantly limits one or more major life activities are eligible for services. Recent and appropriate documentation of the disability (including diagnostic information from a qualified care professional) is required prior to providing accommodations.  This becomes part of the student’s confidential file prior to disability accommodations being put in place.

    Reasonable 504/ADA Accommodations

    Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act requires that all services, benefits, and programs provided by the University be accessible to students with a disability. All accommodations and adjustments are provided according to the law, the facts, and the needs of a particular individual with a disability. The central requirement for accommodations/academic adjustments is that they are both reasonable and effective and that the student has worked with both SAS staff in determining a reduction to any barriers within the parameters of what is essential to a course (which may require the input from instructors). Accommodations that fundamentally alter program or course requirements, or pose an undue administrative or financial burden are not required under the act(s).

    Who to Contact

    SAS staff at 651-641-8272 (V), MN Relay 711 or via email: [email protected]

    Students who have website access concerns can contact the Marketing and Communications Department to correct issues in a timely way: [email protected].

    Students whose concerns about site access remain unresolved may also contact SAS or follow the steps below:

    Grievance Procedure for Students with Disabilities

    The law is a guide that cannot and does not contemplate all possible situations. It is essential for all parties to understand that reasonable minds may differ in a given situation regarding a student with a disability. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against, retaliated against and/or denied a reasonable accommodation are encouraged to follow the steps for the grievance procedures as outlined below.  Due to the fluid nature of such disputes and the need to resolve them expeditiously, students are encouraged to utilize informal procedures prior to using the formal grievance procedure.

    Students are not required to remedy complaints through internal informal or formal procedures and can contact outside agencies at any time.


    A. Informal Grievance Procedure

    The University encourages the use of informal grievance procedures to resolve any conflicts. The informal process allows for more flexibility and will, in most cases, result in the fastest resolution to any conflict.

    The University’s ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer may be consulted on the informal steps, but first steps are handled within the SAS office.

    Informal Complaint Steps:

    • The student expresses concerns to SAS Director in writing (a formal email from the student’s CSP account; text is not appropriate documentation). The SAS Director will meet with the student to resolve concerns about accommodations.  This meeting will take place within 7 school days of the written complaint (student/ Director schedules dependent, but every reasonable effort is made to coordinate the meeting within that time frame).

    • During this meeting, the student concern will be discussed and any possible resolutions. Case note records are taking during this meeting. If the student remains concerned or feels additional follow up is required for resolution, progression to Step 3 will follow:

    3) The Director of SAS will then contact any individuals involved in the complaint and may ask for all emails or information related to this concern. All necessary information will be collected in order to make a determination regarding the complaint. If necessary and/or beneficial, the Director will meet with all parties involved to reach an appropriate resolution.

    4) Upon collection of all relevant information and discussion with the appropriate parties, the SAS Director will issue an email. This memorandum will be issued to the all parities involved student within 10 school days of the meeting.

    5) Upon receiving the SAS Director Memorandum, the student may:

    • Accept the findings of the SAS Director, or

    • Accept the finding of the SAS Director in part and seek to have the findings modified through a second meeting, or

    • Reject the findings of the SAS Director and continue on through the formal process which is listed next:

    B. Formal Internal Inguiry and Resolution Procedure

    The formal inquiry and resolution procedure is more involved and requires a greater level of documentation than the informal process. The student will receive in writing a request for additional documentation.  The formal process is an avenue a student can access if he/she wants to appeal the findings made in the informal inquiry procedure. In either case, a student may begin the formal inquiry procedure using the following steps:

    • The student will file a Formal inquiry and resolution request with the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Office, via formal letter online inquiry and resolution form or emailing [email protected].  The formal Inquiry and resolution request should state clearly the grounds for the complaint. It should also clearly identify the disability issues involved, including names, dates, and witnesses.  The student will be sent an official form by the 504/ADA Coordinator or SAS staff if needed, but an email from the student’s CSP account is also appropriate.
    • The ADA/Section 504 Compliance Office will then notify the involved university employee(s) that a formal inquiry, based on disability discrimination, has been filed.  The Vice President for Academic Affairs will also be notified that a formal complaint has been filed if this involves a faculty member.

    The ADA/Section 504 Compliance Office will coordinate a formal meeting with all parties within 14 school days of the inquiry (based on scheduling) All parties involved may present evidence and testimony regarding the concern including any written or face to face interactions.

    Any participant in this formal meeting is welcome to bring one support individual, but legal counsel for any parties at this stage of the process will be declined.

    • This meeting will be recorded and maintained for two years; therefore, individual recordings are prohibited.
    • It is anticipated that this formal process will resolve the inquiry and a reasonable solution will be determined. The ADA/504 Coordinator will send a formal memorandum (email) to all parities outlining this resolution and any remedies within 72 hours (or three full school days), of this meeting.
    • If it is found that the University and/or its employee(s) has engaged in discriminatory activities or failed to provide reasonable accommodations, the 504/ADA Coordinator will make directives with appropriate offices (including department chairs, Deans or Human Resources) to correct the situation.

    The decisions that result from a formal grievance procedure can be appealed by using the Appeal Procedure outlined below.

    C. Appeal Procedure

    The student complainant will decide if the matter has been resolved by the formal inquiry and resolution procedure or if he/she wishes to appeal that decision. If the matter is to be appealed, the following applies. The student must present the appeal within 14 days of the formal grievance procedure memorandum.

    • The student’s appeal will be heard by the University’s Educational Concerns Committee. The Educational Concerns Committee is a joint committee of faculty and students. For additional information on the role of this group, please refer to the Educational Concerns Committee in the Faculty Handbook.
    • The ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer will disseminate notice of the hearing to the Educational Concerns Committee, any decisions made by the committee and is responsible for correspondence with the student.
    • The ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer may also be present at the Educational Concerns Committee the proceeding, but will not be involved in the issuance of a final decision.

    The decision of the Educational Concerns Committee is final and cannot be appealed further internally.

    D. Federal and State Contacts

    Any student who believes that he or she has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of a disability can at any time contact the appropriate federal or state agencies.

    The Midwestern Division of the
    Office of Civil Rights
    U.S. Department Of Education
    500 W. Madison St
    Suite 1475
    Chicago, IL 60661
    (312) 886-8434 (voice)
    (312) 353-2540 (TTY)

    Minnesota Department of Human Rights
    Army Corps of Engineers Center
    190 East 5th Street #700
    St. Paul, MN 55101
    651-296-5663 (Voice)
    651-296-1283 (TTY)

  • Health Insurance Information for Traditional Students

    The Affordable Health Care Act requires that everyone has health insurance and provides access to coverage. With this change to the law, Concordia University also expects that all students carry health insurance. It is the student’s responsibility to provide payment or insurance for any physical or mental health medical needs.

    Concordia University assumes no liability for student illness or injury and no responsibility for medical bills and/or services contracted for by students. It is the responsibility of the student to carry the insurance card at all times to have available in case of illness or injury.

    Students and families that are concerned about health insurance should know that the Affordable Care Act requires everyone to have health insurance. There are many options available to students, including, being covered on their parent’s policy until age 26 or purchasing coverage through an insurance exchange. The insurance exchange is an online resource where you can find information about different health plans and coverage. is the federal insurance exchange. Residents of Minnesota can look under where you can access the cost for each plan and enroll or find out whether you qualify for financial assistance based on annual income.

  • The transition to a university setting can be stressful for any student, but for parents or guardians of students with disabilities, it can feel especially overwhelming.  The following information may help clarify some of these roles:

    What are the responsibilities of the student if they have a disability?

    • Laws regarding confidentiality and responsibility for disclosure change when a student becomes 18, so it is important that your student is comfortable with taking the leading role in working with Student Accessbility Services. We strongly encourage students to make the first contact with Student Accessbility Services to develop a working relationship with our office early on.   Our intention is not to cut out your important support, but encourage a student to become a self-advocate.
    • Provide appropriate and current documentation (a 504 or IEP plan is a good start) that verifies the student’s disability and requested accommodations.Please note that some accommodations may require additional documentation from a qualified specialists.
    • Students should have a good understanding of their disabilityand any supports they need to be successful. They will need to be able to speak effectively with faculty or other staff regarding their accommodation plans and any support services they participate in.
    • Students sometimes assume that what was provided in high school will be the same in college. Students should work closely with Student Accessibility Services to understand what can and cannot be provided based on what is essential to a program or class.
    • It is important that students understand policies, procedures and timelines of Student Accessbility Services.

    What is the Concordia Univeristy–St. Paul’s responsibilities?

    • To provide equal access to programs or services in accordance with federal and state laws.  
    • Determine if the student is eligible for services.  
    • Maintain confidentiality of disability related information. Provide an appropriate procedure for students to disclose accommodation information to faculty or staff or those with an academic or emergency need to know.  
    • To allow for reasonable accommodations, adjustments and modifications of courses, programs or services on a case-by-case basis. (As long as these accommodations do not alter core requirements classes/programs).  
    • grievance policy whereby students can have concerns about reasonable accommodations or modifications investigated.  
    • Support students in their academic goals!

    What are the responsibilities of parents or guardians of students with disabilities?

    • Understand that your role has changed. Parents are often used to advocating for their child in K-12 settings. In the collegiate level, this responsibility becomes one of self-advocacy. You are support and information for them, but the responsibility of disclosure, contact and follow through is up to the student.
    •  Encourage students to get services set up early. Sometimes students in college no longer want to be treated “separately”, which is normal. Encourage students to set up services and try them out, even if they never use them.
    •  Assist your student in getting appropriate documentation. This may require assistance because it may involve outside parties (e.g., physician, psychologist, school records).
    • Go through documentation with your student. What is their diagnosis? What things have helped them in the past? What does having a learning disability, depression or a health condition mean on a daily basis? What are they concerned about? What are their strengths?
    • Check in with your student on their progress. Ask questions not only about grades, but about what they are learningif they are seeking supportive services, and how they are handling the transition.
    • Help your student learn to help themselves. If your student has a concern, do they know who to contact? If not, help them figure out the next steps to take, but allow them to do the action. They should send their own email or make their own phones/appointments with appropriate people who can assist them. Problem solve with them, not for them.


    We are here to help!  We appreciate information from parents to help set up services, but please remember that confidentiality laws do apply.   We do work to ensure access, but also truly want the success of your student as well!


  • The following links may provide useful information about topics related to health and wellness, however, their listing does not indicate endorsement by CSP Health Services or Concordia University-St. Paul.

    General Health/Treatment/Disease Information

    Minnesota Department of Health
    Mayo Clinic
    Better Sleep Council
    National Sleep Foundation
    Food and Drug Administration
    Johns Hopkins Medicine
    Family Doctor
    Centers for Disease Control
    Health Finder
    American Cancer Society
    American Heart Association

    Alcohol/Drug Information

    Alcoholics Anonymous
    Al Anon
    National Institutes of Health
    Substance Misuse Support

    Pandemic Flu

    Minnesota Department of Health
    Center for Disease Control

    Fitness/Exercise Information

    Aim for a Healthy Weight
    BMI Calculator
    Physical Activity for Everyone


    Minnesota Department of Health


    Nutrition Information

    Eat Right

    Tobacco Information

    Cancer Society
    Centers for Disease Control


    Center for Disease Control

    Male/Female Health Information

    American Social Health Association
    Centers for Disease Control

    Mental Health Information

    Christian Counseling
    Walk-In Counseling
    National Mental Health Association
    Self-Abuse Finally Ends (SAFE) 1-800-DONT-CUT
    National Institute of Mental Health
    Jed Foundation-Suicide


    Sexual Violence Center Crisis Hotline 612-871-5111
    Domestic Abuse Project 612-874-8445
    Women’s Advocates 24 hour Crisis Line 651-227-8284
    Tubman 612-825-0000

    Eating Disorders

    Eating Disorders
    Emily Program

    Hazelden Treatment Center