Main navigation

Accreditation & Licensing

CSP is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and authorized to operate in Minnesota, Oregon, and online. Many of its programs are accredited by their professional organizations and lead to licensure for employment.


  • Concordia University, Saint Paul, is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The University has been accredited since 1959, with reaffirmation of accreditation in 2018. The next reaffirmation of accreditation is in 2028.

    Higher Learning Commission
    230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
    Chicago, IL 60604-1413
    312-263-0456 / 800-621-7440
    Fax: 312-623-7462

  • All teacher licensure programs are approved by the Minnesota Board of Teaching. The most recent approval was completed in 2015 and is through 2022. The Board of Teaching is being restructured as the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board effective January 1, 2018.

    Minnesota Board of Teaching
    1500 Highway 36 West
    Roseville, MN 55113-4266
    (651) 582-8888

    Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board
    1500 Highway 36 West
    Roseville, MN 55113-4266
    (651) 582-8888

  • The Higher Education Act, Title II, Section 207 (1998), requires all institutions that prepare teachers to report their candidates’ pass rates on state licensing tests. In Minnesota, teacher candidates are required to pass the Minnesota National Evaluation Series™ (NES®) Essential Academic Skills Test, which contains three subtests: mathematics, reading and writing. Candidates are also required to pass examinations related to subject matter content and pedagogy. The pass rates for Concordia University teacher education candidates and the pass rates for all teacher education candidates in Minnesota for 2014-15 and 2015-16 are given in the chart below.

    * Pass rates are only shown in content areas where 10 or more Concordia students have taken the test.

    Concordia University Candidates

    Concordia University,  St. Paul
    2013-14# Taking
    2013-14 Institutional Pass Rate
    2014-15# Taking
    2014-15 Institutional Pass Rate
    2015-16# Taking
    2015-16 Institutional Pass Rate
    2016-17# Taking
    2016-17 Institutional Pass Rate
    Basic Skills    
    Mathematics 60 73% 78 60% 117 51%  131  63%
    Reading 57 77% 84 61% 114 61%  124  86%
    Writing 59 75% 80 65% 126 52%  132  63%
    Early Childhood
    Subtest 1
    10 100% 14 100% 11 100% 12 100%
    Early Childhood Subtest 2 16 100% 12 100% 12 100%
    Elementary Subtest 1 25 100% 35 94% 36 97% 33 88%
    Elementary Subtest 2 28 100% 35 91% 37 95% 32 88%
    Secondary Subtest 1 16 100% 20 95% 25 100% 12 92%
    Subtest 2
    15 100% 20 95% 26 100% 12 83%
    Academic Content Areas    
    Childhood Subtest 1
    11 100% 14 93% 14 93% 10 90%
    Childhood Subtest 2
    11 100% 15 93% 13 85% 10 90%
    Pre-Primary Subtest 1 11 100% 11 100% 10 100%
    Pre-Primary Subtest 2 11 100% 11 100% 10 100%
    Elementary Subtest 1 24 100% 27 93% 31 94% 38 87%
    Elementary Subtest 2 21 95% 26 96% 33 91% 36 94%
    Elementary Subtest 3 27 96% 24 88% 31 84% 41 76%


  • Concordia University is a member of the Council for Higher Education Administration (CHEA). A national advocate and institutional voice for self-regulation of academic quality through accreditation, CHEA is an association of 3,000 degree-granting colleges and universities and recognizes 60 institutional and programmatic accrediting organizations.

    Council for Higher Education Accreditation
    One Dupont Circle NW
    Suite 510
    Washington, DC 20036

  • Concordia University has held national accreditation for its teacher education programs since 1969 through the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The College of Education & Science is currently fully accredited through 2022 by NCATE’s successor, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). The accreditation includes all initial licensure programs but does not include individual education courses offered for professional development, re-licensure, or other purposes since this is beyond CAEP’s scope.

  • Concordia University, ST. Paul is fully authorized to offer credentials in Minnesota for K-12 School Principals and School District Superintendents by the Minnesota Board of School Administrators (MN BOSA). Authorization to offer a credential for the position of Director of Special Education has been applied for and is pending BOSA approval.

    Board of School Administrators
    MDE Building
    1500 Highway 36 West
    Roseville, MN 55113
    (651) 582-8754

  • The National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) has approved Concordia’s undergraduate and graduate programs in Family Science as meeting the Standards and Criteria required for the Provisional Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) designation. The NCFR provides certification for the profession of family life education. Thus, students who complete the undergraduate or graduate FLE programs are eligible for certification as a Family Life Educator (CFLE). The NCFR undergraduate re-accreditation was completed in 2014 and is in place through 2019. The graduate re-accreditation was completed in 2015 and is in place through 2020.

    National Council on Family Relations
    1201 West River Parkway, Suite 200
    Minneapolis, MN 55454
    (888) 781-9331

  • The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Concordia University, St. Paul is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (

  • The master of science in Orthotics and Prosthetics is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education (NCOPE).

    Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
    1361 Park Street
    Clearwater, FL 33756

  • The doctorate in Physical Therapy program at Concordia University, St. Paul is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).

    1111 North Fairfax Street
    Alexandria, VA 22314

  • Concordia University is committed to providing outstanding online education. If you have a question, concern, or complaint about your online education experience at Concordia, we encourage you to speak to your program administrator. Concordia’s Grievance Procedures for Students can be found here.

    If you still have an issue, please contact the office of Academic Affairs at

    If the issue cannot be resolved internally, students residing in an NC-SARA state, pursuant to the SARA Complaint Process, may contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education:

    Betsy Talbot
    Minnesota Office of Higher Education
    1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
    Saint Paul, MN 55108

    For students residing in California, complaints can be made at:

    Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
    2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
    Sacramento, CA 95833
    Phone: 916-431-6959

    Filing a Complaint
    You may also report any complaints to Concordia University, St. Paul’s accrediting agency, the Higher Learning Commission (

State Authorization

  • Concordia University, St. Paul is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.

    The Accelerated BSN program in St. Paul is approved by the Minnesota Board of Nursing, located at 1210 Northland Drive, Suite 120, Mendota Heights, MN 55120, 612-317-3000.

  • This school is a business unit of a corporation and is authorized by the State of Oregon to offer and confer the academic degrees and certificates described herein, following a determination that state academic standards will be satisfied under OAR 583-030. Inquiries concerning the standards or school compliance may be directed to the Office of Degree Authorization, 255 Capitol St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97310.

    The Accelerated BSN in Portland is approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing, located at 17938 SW Upper Boones Ferry Road, Portland, OR 97224, 971-673-0685.

  • Federal regulations require schools providing distance education to students residing outside of the institution’s home state to seek state authorization with the states from which they enroll students or participate in a state authorization reciprocity agreement. Concordia University participates in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). This allows Concordia University to enroll students in its online program in all states. Although the State of California does not participate in NC-SARA, CSP is allowed to operate online programs in California because it is a private nonprofit institution.

Licensing & Certifications

  • Each state has different requirements for professional licensure and certifications. If you are considering an academic program that prepares you to pursue professional licensure or certification, you are strongly encouraged to contact your state’s licensing authority for guidance before beginning an academic program outside of your state. (Please see information about licensing/certification and links to state boards for your program of interest below.) Additional licensure requirements may include professional examinations, background checks, years of work experience, fingerprinting requirements, etc.


    If you relocate during your course of study: Since licensing requirements vary by state, moving to a different state before or during your program may impact the requirements for licensure or certification. If you are considering relocating, you should contact the licensing authorities provided for your desired program.

  • CSP’s AAS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography prepares students to take the ARDMS board examinations (SPI and a specialty board).  To see what is required to sit for a board exam, click here. [] CSP AAS DMS program graduates can take the board exam in any state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Currently, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Oregon are the only states with approved legislation mandating the licensure of sonographers.  To see requirements, click the link here.

  • Concordia’s online B.A. in Family Science degree program is approved by the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). Students can choose between a certified or non-certified track, but must do so before the third course in the Family Science degree program. Upon successful completion of the program, CFLE Track students will be provisionally certified as Family Life Educators. Non-CFLE students are eligible to sit for the national exam to gain provisional certification. Provisional certification is available to applicants who have completed the program, but who have not yet earned enough work experience hours in Family Life Education to qualify for full-certification status (3200 hours). Certification is not currently required by any state for employment. For more information on CFLE certification visit the NCFR website.

  • CSP’s pre-licensure nursing programs prepare students to take the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX-RN®), which is required for professional nursing licensing in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. CSP BSN program graduates are eligible to apply to take the NCLEX-RN® in any state. States may require additional licensure application conditions including but not limited to background studies that may include fingerprinting. State specific professional nursing licensure requirements are accessible via the identified state’s nursing board website.

  • Each state has different requirements for certification of Orthotists and Prosthetists. CSP’s MS in Orthotics and Prosthetics prepares students to take the ABC CPO board exam, which is required for licensing in all states that have state licensure. The CSP O&P program graduates can take the board exam in any state or District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Additionally, certain state boards may have other requirements.  Please see the contact information for O&P licensing boards here.

  • Students who complete the CSP Criminal Justice BA program meet the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) academic requirements (including state-specific criminal law and traffic codes) and are eligible for entrance into training toward the Law Enforcement Certificate at Minnesota police academies. Academic requirements for peace officer certification vary by state. Please refer to the information for your state here.

  • The CSP Doctorate in Physical Therapy program curriculum meets the educational requirements for licensure or certification in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands because the program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). Accreditation of a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant program by CAPTE satisfies state educational requirements in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Students graduating from CAPTE-accredited physical therapist programs are eligible to take the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE) and apply for licensure in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For more information regarding state qualifications and licensure requirements, please refer to the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy website.

  • Each state has different requirements for professional licensure and certifications. CSP’s educator preparation programs are designed specifically to prepare students for licensure in Minnesota, but are not approved by any other state licensing boards for licensure in those states. CSP is unable to determine whether its teacher preparation programs would meet the educational requirements for licensure in other states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Students who want to work in a state other than Minnesota should contact the state licensing board in their state before enrolling in the program.  Please see the contact information for teacher licensing boards here.