Family Educational Rights And Privacy Act (FERPA) – Confidentiality
Students enrolled at Concordia University, Saint Paul, are required to give certain information in order that the University may make reasonable judgments about them, provide services, and give informed advice regarding courses to be followed. Such personal data and information may become part of the student education record. Students may make the justifiable assumption that the University, as custodian of this data, will preserve the data’s private nature. By requiring or requesting such information, Concordia University gives assurance that the information will be protected against improper disclosure. Concordia University observes the following principles:
- Appropriate Concordia University officials are held directly responsible and accountable for the careful protection of student education records against possible misuse.
- Within Concordia University, student education records will be used only for appropriate research, educational, and Concordia University administrative functions. Access to those records is allowed only to those members of Concordia University community whose designated responsibilities reasonably require access or to persons to whom the student has given written permission for access.
- Concordia University provides the student with the right to access, inspect and obtain copies of all information in student education records except
- financial information submitted by parents and
- confidential letters and recommendations collected under established policies of confidentiality or to which the student has waived in writing the right of inspection and review.
- Concordia University gives students the right to request amendment of the contents of student education records, to have a hearing if the result of the request for amendment is unsatisfactory, and to include a statement for inclusion in the record if the decision resulting from the hearing is unacceptable to the student.
- Concordia University notifies students annually of their privacy rights, their right to file complaints concerning alleged failures of Concordia University to comply with their privacy rights, and where copies of the Concordia University policy and procedures on access to student records may be obtained.
- The student education records of Concordia University vary in their nature and location. Steps taken to protect against improper disclosure are designed for the circumstance.
To grant specific access to an academic record, the student must give permission click here to create and edit existing proxy permissions.