Concordia University has partnered with the C. Charles Jackson Foundation and Charlie Life & Leadership Academy to provide Concordia with a growing library of online leadership and life skill courses to be used throughout the campus and online community.
Get to Know Charlie Academy
Charlie Life & Leadership Academy strives to provide the essential leadership knowledge and skills needed for success in today’s global economy. The collection of online leadership courses offers students the competitive edge they need to stand out as leaders through course work which develops, measures, and certifies mastery of crucial skills.
Charlie Academy is organized into 3 different categories:
- Personal: how an individual manages their mind, body, and spirit
- Interpersonal: how individuals engage with one another
- Team: how groups work together to accomplish a goal
Any Concordia Student or CSP Program, especially for people who:
- Plan to apply to graduate school or for an internship or job within a year or two
- Want to build a compelling portfolio of leadership credentials, showcasing skills that correlate to outstanding performance in your chosen field
- Have little free time and want to work at a convenient, self-determined pace on content easily accessible online
- Desire direction, focus, and confidence in the pursuit of your personal vision and goals
- Seek to improve their capacity to build relationships, add value in teams, and grow in influence within organizations
- Aim to thrive in a challenging, changing world and to influence and improve society, both locally and globally
- Want to learn how to lead one principle, skill and practice at a time
Individual courses can be selected by topic or students can take an initial assessment to guide their learning, which cultivates a suggested list of courses to help improve various skills.
In Fall 2020, Concordia is opening it’s first Living Learning Community. The C. Charles Jackson Business Leadership Community will be housed in Hyatt Village, which comes with a private bathroom, air conditioning, new lounge furniture, access to the campus tunnel system, and brand new lofts, beds, and room furniture! Students in the BLC can expect enhanced student involvement in innovative ways including increased faculty interaction, dynamic leadership programming, and business-focused excursions to prepare college students’ for career and personal leadership development.
Reach out to BLC Director Jake Wakem for more information or check out the BLC webpage.
Charlie Academy is a resource that is available to all CSP students, faculty and staff. This resource can be used in various places:
- During your club meetings
- As a skill assessment in weeks 1 or 2 of curriculum
- On retreats for Staff, Faculty, Students
- For trainings of your employees
- To generate discussion during class
- As a way to help students enhance their resume
Charlie Academy was created by Dr. Bruce H. Jackson, Executive Director of the Attentional Leadership Institute. He has dedicated his career to the development of individuals, teams, organizations, and communities that seek to maximize influence, leadership, and change. Bruce first developed the Attentional Leadership Theory™ (ALT)—a holistic and multi-dimensional approach to categorize and implement leadership theories, tools, and practices. Charlie Academy is designed to bring these ideas to college students, in order to create new leaders around the globe.
Charlie Academy currently lives in CSP’s Blackboard as it’s own individual course, that all undergraduate students will have access too. This page houses all Charlie Academy courses as learning modules that students can progress through at their own pace or under the instructor of a Professor/Faculty/Staff. Questions about Blackboard access can be directed to Jake Wakem.
Try It Yourself.
Below are some preview courses for you to click through.
Have you experienced the satisfaction of achieving a goal you set for yourself? If so, you know how fulfilling and empowering it is. Before you can achieve your goals, you must first learn how to set effective goals. This course will also explore ways to keep motivated and tools to track your progress as you embark on your life’s missions.
Life is full of bumps and detours. Learning how to cope with these difficulties can mean thriving amidst turmoil. This course explores the science behind resilience and showcases several famous people whose lives show the value of learning techniques for coping.
*This course has activities that are under construction.
Charlie Academy is constantly growing!
Courses available for Spring 2020:
- Managing Conflict
- Create Your Ideal Self
- Receiving Feedback
- Optimize Your Energy
- Building Team Culture & Climate
- Team Problem Solving
- Creating, Embracing, Implementing & Managing Change