Concordia University has partnered with the C. Charles Jackson Foundation and Charlie Life & Leadership Academy to provide Concordia with a growing library of online leadership and life skill courses to be used throughout the campus and online community.
Get to Know Charlie Academy
Charlie Life & Leadership Academy strives to provide the essential leadership knowledge and skills needed for success in today’s global economy. The collection of online leadership courses offers students the competitive edge they need to stand out as leaders through course work which develops, measures, and certifies mastery of crucial skills.
Charlie Academy is organized into 3 different categories:
- Personal: how an individual manages their mind, body, and spirit
- Interpersonal: how individuals engage with one another
- Team: how groups work together to accomplish a goal
Any Concordia Student or CSP Program, especially for people who:
- Plan to apply to graduate school or for an internship or job within a year or two
- Want to build a compelling portfolio of leadership credentials, showcasing skills that correlate to outstanding performance in your chosen field
- Have little free time and want to work at a convenient, self-determined pace on content easily accessible online
- Desire direction, focus, and confidence in the pursuit of your personal vision and goals
- Seek to improve their capacity to build relationships, add value in teams, and grow in influence within organizations
- Aim to thrive in a challenging, changing world and to influence and improve society, both locally and globally
- Want to learn how to lead one principle, skill and practice at a time
Individual courses can be selected by topic or students can take an initial assessment to guide their learning, which cultivates a suggested list of courses to help improve various skills.
Concordia Saint Paul offers three Living Learning Communities on campus that infuses Charlie Academy into class and residential experience. The C. Charles Jackson Business Leadership Community and the Science and Service Integrated Learning Community will be housed in Hyatt Village, which comes with a private bathroom, air conditioning, new lounge furniture, access to the campus tunnel system, and brand new lofts, beds, and room furniture! Students in the BLC and SSILC experience an enhanced student involvement with innovative add-on experiences including increased faculty interaction, dynamic leadership programming, and career-focused excursions to prepare college students’ for career and personal leadership development.
Charlie Academy is a resource that is available to all CSP students, faculty and staff. This resource can be used in various places:
- During your club meetings
- As a skill assessment in weeks 1 or 2 of curriculum
- On retreats for Staff, Faculty, Students
- For trainings of your employees
- To generate discussion during class
- As a way to help students enhance their resume
Charlie Academy was created by Dr. Bruce H. Jackson, Executive Director of the Attentional Leadership Institute. He has dedicated his career to the development of individuals, teams, organizations, and communities that seek to maximize influence, leadership, and change. Bruce first developed the Attentional Leadership Theory™ (ALT)—a holistic and multi-dimensional approach to categorize and implement leadership theories, tools, and practices. Charlie Academy is designed to bring these ideas to college students, in order to create new leaders around the globe.
Charlie Academy currently lives in CSP’s Blackboard as its own individual course, that all undergraduate students will have access too. This page houses all Charlie Academy courses as learning modules that students can progress through at their own pace or under the instructor of a Professor/Faculty/Staff. Questions about Blackboard access can be directed to Jake Wakem.
Try It Yourself.
Below are A FEW preview courses for you to click through.
Life is full of bumps and detours. Learning how to cope with these difficulties can mean thriving amidst turmoil. This course explores the science behind resilience and showcases several famous people whose lives show the value of learning techniques for coping.
What do you learn from failure? You learn how to succeed! Iteration is at the heart of this course. Through reflection and modification, you’ll learn techniques to incorporate knowledge quickly to refine your approach and improve your outcomes.
Charlie Academy is constantly growing! Currently, there are 21 courses available for CSP Faculty, Staff, and Students! Course titles include:
- Architecting Goals
- Art of Listening
- Becoming Resilient
- Building a Dream Team
- Building Your Personal Philosophy
- Communicating with Purpose
- Creating Happiness
- Create Your Ideal Self
- Cultivating Trust
- Discover and Engage Your Purpose at CSP
- Failing Faster and Better
- Growing Through Conflict
- Inspiring Collaboration
- Maximizing Time
- Power of Visualization
- Performance Nutrition
- Optimize Your Energy
- Solve It Together
- Tapping into Motivation
- The Art of Feedback
- Thought Mastery
- Unleash Your Best Self