Associate Professor of Physical Therapy
Dr. Shani Johnson joined the Doctorate of Physical Therapy program as a fulltime faculty member in 2016. She received her BS at University of Nebraska, Masters in Physical Therapy at University of Iowa and her DSc in Physical Therapy at Andrews University in Michigan. She received her Certification in Manual Physical Therapy in 2012.
Dr. Johnson has over 7 years of teaching in accredited physical therapy programs. She collaboratively teaches in the Musculoskeletal thread, Medical Screening and Women’s Health courses. Her clinical practice is in outpatient physical therapy.
Currently, Dr. Johnson’s research focuses on men’s health within entry-level DPT curriculum and return to sports programs. She is interested in pelvic health and how to improve entry level education and awareness of pelvic health issues, as well as safe return to sports performance. Some examples of recent dissemination include:
- Johnson S. Grancorvitz S, Hansen R, Hudalla M. Women’s Health Educator Tool Kit published in the Academy of Pelvic Health and available as online resource. 2019.
- Johnson S, Dripps M, Kolch K, Prestegard S, Weeks L, Seller E. Men’s pelvic health: exploration of entry-level DPT curricular content based on a national faculty survey at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting (CSM) February 2020
- Johnson S, Dripps M, Kolch K, Prestegard S, Weeks L, Seller E. Men’s pelvic health: exploration of entry-level DPT curricular content based on a national faculty survey. MN APTA Annual Conference April 2020 (virtual)
- Johnson S, Ness R, Obrycki W, Peitz M, Seiberlich R. A Compendium of Evidence-Based Physical Therapy Diagnosis and Intervention of Pelvic Health Conditions. Concordia University Poster Presentations April 2019.
- Johnson S, Grancorvitz S, Hansen R, Hudalla M. Developing Women’s Health Curriculum in DPT Programs. MN APTA Annual Conference April 2018.
Dr. Johnson has served the WPTA on the local and board level. She enjoys cooking, cycling, skiing and walking her dogs, spending time with her husband and family/friends.
Email: [email protected]