Main navigation

Transferring Credit

The Registrar’s Office is responsible for reviewing transcripts and for applying the accepted transfer credits to your student record. Concordia University accepts up to 90 credits for our Bachelor degree programs, from colleges and universities that are regionally accredited. The initial evaluation of your transcripts will be done to review your work completed at previous institutions. If your transfer credit does not fulfill a specific CSP requirement it will be applied to your elective credits. Feel free to check your degree audit for updates to your transfer credit.

Transferring Credit FAQ's

  • Concordia accepts Minnesota Transfer Curriculum goal areas or an Associate of Arts degree from an accredited institution to fulfill Concordia’s general education requirements with the exception of Theology, which must be completed at CSP.

    View the current list of transfer guides which list the pre-approved courses that will transfer in from several Community Colleges and Universities.

    If you do not see your Institution or a specific course you were looking for you can email [email protected] to find out if a course will transfer. Please include your student ID number, the institution where you will be taking the course, the course codes and title, and the general education area for which you would like the course to transfer. We will review the course and let you know the details about its transferability. Once you have been admitted to Concordia, we highly recommend checking with us before taking any courses at other institutions to ensure that they will transfer in to Concordia.

  • Once you are admitted to Concordia and the Registrar’s Office receives your official transcripts, we begin the process of reviewing for transfer credit. If you have sent in your official transcript, but do not see any transfer entered, please contact us by emailing [email protected].

    • Transfer Credit Limit: Concordia will accept no more than 90 credits via transfer. You must earn the remaining credits for your degree at CSP.
    • Official Transcripts: Concordia only accepts transfer credit if we have received an official transcript. Transcripts that were issued by the institution, but opened by the student are not considered official.
    • Final Transcripts: Sometimes, during the admission process, students will send transcripts that list some courses as in-progress. In order to properly evaluate whether these courses will transfer, the Registrar’s Office will need a final official copy of the transcript with all grades accounted for. Any in-progress grades will not be added to your accepted transfer credits.
    • College-level Courses: Concordia only accepts courses that are at the college-level. This means that any college-prep courses (including some introductory courses) will not transfer.
    • Transfer GPA: Concordia will accept transfer courses in which you have received a D for Minnesota enrolled students and a C for Oregon enrolled students for General Education requirements, unless the transferring cumulative GPA is less than a 2.0. Each program and state may have different transfer requirements due to accreditation and State requirements. For example, students enrolled in a program at an Oregon location must have a grade of a C or better in a course in order to be eligible for transfer credits. Please review the catalog page to see if the program has specific transfer requirements.
    • Duplicate/Repeated Courses: Concordia will not accept duplicate or repeated courses, even if the course was taken at two different institutions, and even if the course was repeatable at your previous institution.
  • The individual college departments are responsible for approving/denying transfer credit for major and/or minor requirements.

    To petition with the department to have transfer work count toward your major or minor, you will need to fill out a Course Substitution Form. Please ensure that you have obtained all of the appropriate approvals and signatures before returning it to the Registrar’s Office for processing. If you are unsure who needs to approve your particular course, please check with your academic advisor.

  • Concordia accepts credit by examination from the following:

    • CLEP– CLEP offers 33 exams in five subject areas.
    • Advanced Placement– The AP Exam is the final step you take after an AP class. These standardized exams are designed to measure how well you’ve mastered the content and skills of the course.
    • International Baccalaureate –International Baccalaureate is pursued during High School and credit can be reviewed via the IB transcript, diploma or individualized tests.

    Click here for the full policy on acceptable CLEP, AP, and IB exams.  Visit the College Board website for more information on registering for and taking each exam.

  • Yes! Please send your official transcript from the university through which you took your PSEO courses. We cannot accept the transfer courses from your high school transcript.

  • We accept the credit amount that you are bringing in from the other institution. This means that if you took a 3 credit class at another institution and our General Education requirement is for a 4 credit class, we will still only accept 3 credits for that transferred course.

    Generally speaking, a 3 credit transferred course will cover our 4 credit requirement. However, if that course counts in your major, you may need to take additional elective coursework in your major to reach the required credit total.

  • It depends. In accordance with faculty policy, all transfer work that is accepted for elective or General Education credit is applied with a Pass grade and carries no grade points.

    However, if a course is transferred into Concordia for your major or minor, then the grades for these courses are taken into account when calculating your GPA.