Tuition & Financial AidUndergraduate

Here, Private Education is a Value Investment

Our affordable tuition and comprehensive financial aid program makes Concordia University, St. Paul one of the best private college values in Minnesota.

Financial Aid in Three Simple Steps

  1. Apply for admission to Concordia University, St. Paul
  2. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
    *The Concordia University School Code is 002347
  3. Watch for your emailed award letter in your inbox.
    Your admissions counselor will contact you to discuss your award after it is emailed.  Please see the FAQ below for help understanding your award.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and Fees
2019-2020Fall/Spring SemestersAcademic Year
Tuition (12-19 credits)$11,400$22,800
Residence Hall / Food Services$4,600$9,200


2020-2021Fall/Spring SemestersAcademic Year
Tuition (12-19 credits)$11,700$23,400
Residence Hall / Food Services$4,800$9,600

*International Student Tuition listed on cost breakdown tab

Cost Breakdowns

2019-2020 Costs

Undergraduate (per credit hour, for students registered for 1-11 credits)$420
Summer School (2020, per credit hour)$420
Auditing (per class)$175
Course overload (per credit hour, over 19 credits)$260
Post-Baccalaureate (per credit hour) *B.S. in Nursing not included in $420 rate$420
International Student Fees$2,400
Optional Fees

2019-2020 Costs

Single Room (Additional charge per semester)$1,250
Holst Hall Double Room (Additional charge per semester)$1,250
Extra Institutional Credit (includes credit by examination-per credit hour)$270
Colloquy Tuition Rate (per credit hour)$270
Colloquy Internship Fee$1,280
Science Lab Fees (varies by course)$25 – $50
Fine Art Fees (varies by course)$25 – $50
Biology and Chemistry Research Fee (per credit hour)$100
Private Music Instruction (800 level – Weekly 30 minute private lesson)$215
Private Music Instruction (900 level – Weekly 1 hour private lesson)$430




(assuming the student is independent on the FAFSA)

Freshman (0 -31 credits)     $9,500 maximum
Sophomore (32-63 credits)     $10,500 maximum
Junior or Senior (64 or more credits)     $12,500 maximumThere are two types of Stafford loans:

  • Subsidized (federal government pays interest while student is in school)
  • Unsubsidized (student pays interest while in school or interest accrues)

Accepting a Stafford Loan
To accept a Federal Stafford Loan, please complete the Stafford loan entrance counseling and sign this Stafford Master Promissory Note (MPN).

Private Educational Loans

If your tuition was  not covered fully by Federal Stafford loans and Need-Based Grants, you will need to pay the remainder out of pocket or apply for a Private Educational loan. There are many types of student loans, and it is important for you to choose the one that best meets your needs. FASTChoice is a tool that helps you to compare lenders and their loan products.


Financial Aid Process F.A.Q.

What is the deadline for financial aid?

The earliest students and their families may apply for financial aid is October 1. Awarding begins in November. Also, the earlier students and their families apply for financial aid, the sooner they will receive their award package.

What is included in a typical financial aid package at Concordia?

A typical financial aid package starts with consideration of the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the FAFSA submission. Using the EFC, Concordia University will award institutional, state, and federal grants as eligibility allows. Campus work-study and student loans also will be awarded to meet demonstrated financial need only. The PLUS loan, a loan for parents and private education loan options will be presented if additional help is needed.

How long does it take to receive the financial aid package?

Students must be admitted to Concordia University and have completed a FAFSA. Approximately 10 days after the application file is complete students can expect to receive their financial aid award package.

Why is an FSA ID needed for the FAFSA and where do I get it?

Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents. The FSA ID replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN on May 10, 2015.

When is financial aid applied to the student account?

Grant money is applied to student accounts on the first day of classes. Federal loan money is applied to student accounts following the drop-add period. Private loans are disbursed as soon as all requirements are met.

What happens to any "left over" money in the student account?

If a credit balance remains after all tuition and fees have been paid for the semester, students receive the overage within 14 days. Overages are determined after the drop/add deadline.

I've been selected for Federal Verification

What does this mean?

Verification is a process that all universities receiving federal aid are required to complete. The purpose of verification is not to find fraudulent FAFSA applicants, but to find and correct common mistakes made during the filing of the FAFSA. If the verification process is not completed, a student will not be considered for any need-based financial aid.

To Complete This Step:

  • Submit a copy of the Federal Verification Worksheet and a copy of the previous year’s tax information.
    Must be the same tax documents that were used to complete the FAFSA
  • If you are dependent and were required to submit your parent’s information on the FAFSA, you will need to submit a copy of yours and your parent’s tax information.
What is included in my Financial Aid Award?

What information can be found on my award letter?
Your award letter shows you your costs and the total amount of aid (Federal, State and CSP based aid) you qualify for in a given academic year to cover those costs. The academic year runs from fall (August) through summer (July).

Why does my award not show any summer aid?
Your award will only show aid for fall and spring; summer aid is awarded during the end of the spring semester for those students who enrolled for at least 6 credits and complete a summer financial aid application. The application is available in the Student Financial Services department.

How much does Concordia University cost?
Most charges are listed in the COST area of your award letter. The most common costs are tuition, room and board. The cost of tuition for a traditional student is based on the credit load taken, and details can be found in the Tuition and Fees section on this webpage.

Single room options or alternative meal plans will incur additional fees. Please contact your admissions counselor with specific questions regarding cost.

What other charges are not listed in the cost section?
Some additional charges that can increase the tuition costs:

Private Music Lessons cost $215 for 30 minute lessons and $430 for an hour lesson.

Science classes with labs will commonly have lab fees ranging from $25-$50.

Reference other costs in the Tuition & Fees section below or with the Student Financial Services department at
(651) 603-6300 or

How much aid have I been offered?
Offered aid is listed in two sections, Gift Aid (money that doesn’t have to be paid back) and Loans (money that you eventually repay).

Gift aid is commonly academic, athletic or departmental scholarships, as well as Federal, State or institutional grants. Since gift aid doesn’t have to be paid back, no additional documentation is needed to accept this aid.

What does my “amount remaining to pay” include?
This amount is your costs minus gift aid. This amount does not reflect any non-CSP grants and scholarships OR loans you may have applied for. This balance reflects the additional aid you need to secure to cover your balance.

How do I cover my remaining balance?
Notify the Student Financial Services department of any non-CSP scholarships and grants that you are expecting. You can deduct the scholarship amounts from the balance due and then consider if you will pay any portion out of pocket.

If you will not pay any funds out of pocket, you may consider applying for student loans to cover the remaining amount. If you are paying a portion or all of the remaining balance out of pocket, then you can make a payment via the cashier or online by credit card or from your checking or savings account. You may also want to consider a payment plan. Information on payment plans is available on the payments page. Make a payment now

Which loan do I choose? I have been offered more than one.
We offer you multiple loan programs because there are different regulations with each and some programs may be more appealing to you. Also, some loan programs have annual limits and one loan may not cover all of your costs, so you may need to apply for more than one. Specific questions can be answered by your financial aid counselor.

Do I have to accept all the loans offered?
We commonly offer loan amounts above what you may need but that doesn’t mean you have to accept the offered amount. The award letter is a reflection of the maximum amount of gift aid and direct Stafford loans you qualify for; you can request a reduction in any of the offered aid. You should only apply for the amount of loan funds you need.

When I apply for a loan, what period should it cover?
If you plan to be enrolled in both the fall and the spring semesters your student loan will be set for one disbursement each semester, if you are graduating after one semester, then you can apply for a fall-only or spring only loan.

Can I take out a loan for one semester only?
In most situations, you should apply for the loan for both semesters and the funds are sent in two equal disbursements. This way, you apply for the loan in the fall semester and funds will come in the fall and spring.

Will I receive the full amount of the loans offered to me?
One thing to remember is that with Stafford loans, and some other loans, there can be loan processing fees charged. The fee is commonly 2% of the total amount and this fee is taken out of the total loan amount. So, if you are offered and accept $3500 in Stafford funds, you will receive $3,430 for the year ($70 is the 2% loan charge), which is $1,715 per semester. Please keep that in mind when you are trying to cover your balance.

Can I include work-study funds in my aid?
Work-study funds are earned when you are hired for either an on-campus or certain selected off-campus positions. Those funds are earned as you work and are paid bi-weekly. You can chose to have your earnings paid directly to you or have them go directly towards your balance. Commonly students use the funds for miscellaneous expenses they incur. For more information on how to apply work-study funds to your balance, please speak with your financial aid counselor.

Can I buy books using my aid?
Yes, if you have a surplus on your account. When you have more aid coming in than your costs, you have a surplus of aid. You may use those funds to pay for your books. If aid is not received yet, and as long as all the proper documentation has been completed, we can “charge” your books to your student account. To set this up, see your financial aid counselor.

Can I borrow more aid than what my costs are?
Yes, you can use any of the offered aid to assist you with any educational-related expense. For instance, many students who live off-campus use the additional funds to rent, food, gas, etc.

I have additional funds in my student account, how can I get them?
Once your funds are received and your charges are paid, your funds will be sent to you. You need to set up direct-deposit for the funds to be released to the checking or savings account of your choice. You need to complete the Direct Deposit Authorization Form and send in a savings deposit slip OR a voided check.

What is the contact information for the Student Financial Services department?
Hours: 9am – 4:30pm (Monday – Friday)
Phone: (651) 603-6300
Fax: (651) 603-6298

Contact Admissions

Contact the Office of Admissions with any questions regarding Concordia’s tuition, scholarships or financial aid opportunities.

Phone: (651) 641-8230

Net Price Calculators

Calculating the Cost of Your Education

Concordia provides several calculators that may be helpful for you to use as you work to determine the cost of your education.